Monday 1 November 2010

So, what is graphic design? Take 2

Graphic design...is the effective delivery of a message, idea or concept through the use of visual language.


It delivers the message well, to promote. I'm a real fan of vintage and classic graphic design - This I consider to be just that. I love the subdued tones, and the use of painting in comparison to print. The hand rendered element I feel I love best here, basically everything is produced, in one way, shape, or form by hand. In this case, painted. 


Theres something about the combination of alot of very small text, with very detailed illustrations I just love - It has the appearance of a personal sketchbook, a personal piece of work and doodling. Which just goes to show, some peoples doodles, are others considered graphic design. I have a love for the biro pen too, the breadth of detail created from such a restricted medium is brilliant.

Again, a handmade piece. In a vast range of gritty materials and mediums. The like this best due to the 'grunge' appeal. Its no a precise piece of work, its been created in a collage like style. This is one of my favourite pieces of graphic design i've ever seen. Its just unique.

The layering of hand drawn text on photos has been a technique and style i've used a lot myself. it's simple, yet, effective. This piece looks like a scrap book, of places visited, which an opinion or comment on the place, drawn on top of the photos taken.



This is appealing to me, particularly because of the colour palette and chosen materials. Monochrome is wonderful to work in, especially when working with newspaper, print and photos. Its a nice variety which works well together. The use of red, really highlights the textures, and monochrome colour pallette due to its vibrancy. I can't quite pinpoint why I like this so much...

This was the layout of a webpage, Images shown within a polaroid style border, suggesting a scrapbook like appearance, which, as said before, is a love of mine. I like when work feels personal and unworked, yet gives a professional finish.

Another piece screaming 'Personal scrapbook!' Again another piece using doodles, a lot of small writing and a variety of texts, colours and images to create an intricate interesting piece.

Simple yet effective. A quote possibly used too much by myself, but a design which can do so, I grow to love. The hand rendered tree and consistency through products works well due to the simplicity of the design and type. The brown, aged colour palette is a favourite of mine, and here its gives a 'earthy' quality to the products, referencing the illustration of the tree.

Here I like the range of materials that have been used, creating a variety of textures, colours and an interesting aesthetic appeal. This person has used sewing - in an intricate detailed form, embossings, and printmaking within all the pieces. To then layer these I feel is ingenious.

Another design using hand rendered type over photo. A variety of line thicknesses, fonts and a quirky illustration works when in attracting an intended audience of young people.


This is different to other pieces i've looked at. Its colour palette is nice due to its pastel qualities paired with the contrasting use of black and white. I really like the different uses of type. The illustration itself has a foreign feeling about it which is very subtle but quite nice. Again all these points are relevant for the image below.




The simplicity is something I like here. Simple type, simple pattern, does what it needs to do. The range of line thickness is complimentary in highlighting the detailing.

Absolutly love this design in a book. In handmade, holds vintage qualities, has a personal touch and looks aged. Pretty much holds everything I like.




I'm liking the whole 'product in a box' going on here. Not sure I like the designs themselves, but I really like the presentation of them being in a cardboard box.


No comments:

Post a Comment