Friday 19 November 2010

What is Graphic Design?

Mark Howe Illustrator/Photographer

Mark decided to make a trip to our college to give a brief presentation telling us all about his work and what not. I decided to give his work a blast on google, and found a lot of his stuff I really liked:


A whole google maps thing is going on here. Love the colour pallette, very natural and befitting to the lovely detailed illustration of the map. I do like the technique of this, along with the abstract colour of the outline drawing, normally it's usually black or white, but Marks been a little different.


The limited colour tone on this stock is my favourite element of this piece. The variation of block colour and pattern makes the colour restriction compliment itself.


I've always liked the combination of photography and Graphic design, the montage, natural presentation of this image is great. It show's a really creative and aesthetically stunning workshop which all designers want!


Using animals to portray a series of emotions in a catalogue is quite a nice idea. The whole 'down as a dog' idea is hinted at which is quite clever really. The negative space of this design I like the most I feel. The text really does ruin the affect of it, but hey, can't have it all.

I'm really digging his 'au naturel' thing going on in his designs. I particularly like the weaving of the leaves through the type; an unusual font to be used for this, yet I like it.

I REALLY like this page layout. Tiny, simple, outline illustrations paired with small, delicate font and a limited colour pallette has just worked so well here.

I've always liked child like font, especially here as it is the main focus of the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment