Monday 17 September 2012

Doing me nut in - Belfast

http://www.inyourpocket.com/northern-ireland/belfast/How-till-spake-Norn-Iron-A-guide-to-local-phrases_70619f

A is for...
Ach: A regional word that's usually placed at the start of a sentence. “Ach go on.”, “Ach you know?”
Arse: Bottom, bum. “A kick up the arse.”
Ascared: Combination of the words afraid and scared. “I'm ascared of heights.”
Aye: Yes. “Aye, I'll have a pint if you're buying.”

B is for...
Bake: Mouth/face. “Shut your bake”, “Look at the bake on her”
Banjaxed: Broken. “Darling, the bog is banjaxed, call a plumber”
Banter: Craic, fun chatter. “Let's go for a pint and some banter”
Beezer: Good, fantastic “Your new car is beezer mate.” (Rosemary – London) 
Big Lad: A robust young gentleman. “Alright big lad?”
Bout Ye!: Greeting, How are you? “Bout ye big lad, let's go for a swall.”(Glenn Kelly – Belfast)

C is for...
C' mere: A command. “Come here”
Catch yourself on!: An expression, translated as “Get a hold of yourself!”, “Wise up!”
Clinker: Similar to Beezer. “My new bike is clinker.” (Eimear – Belfast/Glasgow)
Coupan: Face. “Look at the state of the coupan on yer woman.” (Eimear – Belfast/Glasgow)

Cracker: Good. “That restaurant was cracker”
Craic: Fun, to have a good time. “The craic is mighty lads, get the beers in”

D is for...
Da: Father. “I seen your Da in the pub last night”
Dander: Walk. “Lets go for a dander”
Dead-On: Good, decent, alright. “I like him, he's dead-on”
Does my head in: Expression. Someone who really annoys you. “That dipso does my head in”

E is for...
Eejit : An Idiot. “You are an eejit”

F is for...
Faffin': Messing around, acting an eejit. “Stop faffin' around and do some work”
Fegs: Cigarettes. “Can I have twenty fegs and a can of coke?”
Fiddle: A Violin. “Get that fiddle out and let's have a sing-song”
Fire: Throw. “I was out firing stones at the peelers”

G is for...
Grand: Good. “That's grand, I'll see you at half-eleven”
Gub: Mouth. “I've got a sore gub”
Guddies: Trainers. “Look at my belter new guddies”

H is for...
Haul: Hold. “Your man can't haul his beer”, “Haul my jacket”
Hoak: Rummage. “That wee man hoaks through the bins”
Hole: Bottom, Bum. “Get your lazy hole out of bed and go to work”
Hoop: Bum, bottom. “That child has a face like my hoop”

I is for...
I tell a lie: Expression, meaning you've made an error. “I tell a lie, I do remember who you father is”
I'll do you!: Expression, meaning you're in big trouble. “I'll knock you out big-lad”, “You're going to receive a thump”
Is that you?: Regional question. “Are you finished?”, “Are you ready?”
Is your head cut?: Expression, meaning are you wise? “Why did you buy a chocolate fire guard, is your head cut?”

J is for...
Jammie: Lucky. “That jammie sod just won the lottery”
Jam Jar: Slang. Car. “I've bought a brand new jam jar”
Jaunty: Tracksuit wearing moron, usually found loitering outside shopping centres with nowhere else to go. May also be sporting a bum-fluff moustache.

K is for...
Keepin' Dick: Keeping Lookout. “Keep-dick for me while I rob this jewellers”
Kex: Underwear. “I have to go a buy new kex for my honeymoon”
Kilty-Caul-Bum: Expression/song, meaning Kilty-cold-bottom, a Scottish gentleman with no underwear. “One for me and one for you and one for kilty-caul-bum”

L is for...
Lamped: Punched. “I lamped yer man after he called me a nasty name”
Lamps: Eyes. “I cried my lamps out”, “I got my lamps punched last night”
Lump: Lazy, “Get out of bed you big lump and get a job”
Lifted: Arrested. “Wee Stevie got lifted by the peelers last night”

M is for...
Ma: Mother. “How's your Ma?”
Melter: An annoying person who gets on your nerves. “That wee girl is a melter.” (Rosemary – London) 
Minger: Ugly, an unattractive person. “You're such a minger”
Munter: An unattractive woman dressed inappropriately for her age and covered in fake tan. "Yer Ma's a munter"
Mucker: Mate, pal. “Alright mucker, fancy a pint?”

N is for...
Naff: Stupid, crap. “Your new car is naff”
Neb: Nose. “Yer man has some neb on him, it's massive”
Norn Iron: Slang/dialect. Northern Ireland. “I hope Norn Iron win the World Cup”
Nuck: Steal. “I didn't nuck your milk”

O is for...
Offie: Off Licence. “Let's go to the offie and buy some beer”
Oul: Old. “This pub is really oul”
Oul-Doll: Old Lady. “That oul-doll looks like your Ma”
Oul-Lad: Old Man. “That oul-lad lives up our street”

P is for...
Pastie-Lip: Someone with a big bottom lip. “Here comes pastie-lip with his new girlfriend”
Peelers: Police. “The peelers do my head in”
Poke: Ice-Cream. “Ma, can I have a poke with sprinkles on it?”
Pull: Go on a romantic conquest, usually on a Friday and Saturday night at a disco. “Right, pass my aftershave, I'm going on the pull tonight”

R is for...
Ragein'
: Angry, fuming. “£15 for a taxi, I was ragein'!” (Anna - Belfast)
Ratten: Rotting, disgusting. “Those prawns were ratten”
Reddener: Embarrassed. “I took an awful reddener when I fell off my chair”
Right: Assertive, usually applied at the start of a sentence. “Right, I'm away home for my tea”
Runner: Run away, flee with speed. “Here come the peelers, let's do a runner!”

S is for...
Scundered
: Embarrassed. “Look at yer man's trousers, I'm scundered for 'em!” (Anna - Belfast)
Sound: Dead on, easy going. “Yer Da is sound”
Spake: Pronunciation - Speak. “Shut up and let me spake”
Spuds: Potatoes. “Get the spuds on love, I'm starvin'”
Stickin' Out!: Fantastic! “I'm stickin' out big lad and how are you?”

T is for...
Tae: Pronunciation - Tea. “Put the kette on and we'll have a cup of tae”
Tea: Dinner. “Jimmy, your tea is ready”
Tele: Belfast Telegraph, a Belfast newspaper. “Give me the Tele and a packet of crisps”
Till: To. “Are you coming till the shops?”

V is for...
Veda: Malted bread native to Northern Ireland. Lovely with some butter and cheese.

W is for...
Wee: Small. Used by every single Northern Irish person.  “Have a wee bun”, “Would you like a wee bag?”
What about ye?: Greeting. “How are you?”
Wick: Stupid, useless. “That new Glentoran kit is wick”
Windee
: Window. “Someone broke my windee”

Y is for...
Ya: You. “Ya look like my Ma”
Yarn: Talk. “I had a good yarn with your Ma”
Yer: You're. “Yer my best mate”
Youse: You Lot. “Youse keep the noise down, I'm trying to sleep!”



Phrases:


  • jenny wigham - belfast, united kingdom 29 August 2012
    Ach a wayin Chase yourself on ......wise upWind your neck in!!.....Shut in
  • Rosie McClure - Mandurah, Australia 29 August 2012
    Steamin - very drunk God I miss NIs lovely vocab hahaha
  • Rosie McClure - Mandurah, Australia 29 August 2012
    Keep er lit big lawd - keep going
  • raph barbier - france/england 23 August 2012
    You should add the phonetic spelling, it would be useful ;)
  • Elizabeth Attwood - From Belfast, England 21 August 2012
    Cut to the onion - Embarrassed
  • Ian - Northern Ireland 15 August 2012
    Chum - friend e.g. how are ye chum?
  • Ian - Belfast, Norn Iron 15 August 2012
    Feck off ye arsehole - go away you bad/annoying person
  • Conor - Béal Feirste, North of ireland 24 July 2012
    Here do you like lettuce? ''yes'' will lettuce buck ye - term asked to wee girls by fella's looking to have sex
  • Sarah - Lisburn 26 June 2012
    Wheels or kicks - trainers "do u like my new wheels" "wot do u think of my new kicks"
  • Jonty - Norn Iron 24 June 2012
    Getting into trouble - to get a girl pregnant. 'Don't go getting that girl into trouble'.Culchie - someone from a rural area. 'Yer da's a farmer? Ya culchie ya!
  • jok - norn iron 10 June 2012
    "you're heedz a marley" - you are not thinking clearly that statement seems erroneous
  • martin - Belfast, Northern Ireland 28 May 2012
    'mere - meaning 'come here' as in " 'mere ni ill wack yee!"coopan - meaning 'head' as in "ders somin wrom we your coupan mate" ders - meaning "there's" or "there is" as in "ders it der!"gay - meaning "pointless" as in "that's pure gay like"sad - meaning "pointless" or "waster" as in "that wee lad is a sad bastard so he is"
  • John Hoy - N.IRELAND 04 May 2012
    "Gis a buck at yee" - Would you like to come in for coffee?
  • Joanne - NI 04 May 2012
    Snatters. Nasal emissions. 'Them snatters are tripping ye.'
  • Joanne - NI 04 May 2012
    Snatters. Nasal excretia. 'Them snatters are tripping ye.'
  • Jack - Co. Down 03 May 2012
    Gaunch should be in this meaning idiot obviously."Shut up ye feckin gaunch!"
  • Joan. - N Ireland 24 April 2012
    The word scundered. Means. Embarrassed.


No comments:

Post a Comment