Monday 17 September 2012

Doing me nut in - Lancashire

http://www.nyt.co.uk/lankytalk.htm


Aye
Yes
Now
No
Sithee
Behold
Eigh Up
Hello/Well I never/Please move
Dust?
Do you?
Uz'll
We will
Ast?
Have you?
Worrell
What will
Owdonabit serry!
Just one moment if you please sir...
Yah! and Nay!
Yes and No (when contradicting)
Tha wa'?
Pardon?
Arta?
Are you?
Them'll
They will
Speighk proper! 
You are not using the correct Lancashire vernacular!

Th'art as much use as a one-legged mon at an arse-kicking contest.
You aren't much use at all!
Dust want a leather 'n' timber kiss?
(How do you fancy a kick from my clog?)
Ah'll tek a bit o' thi wom (home) in me pocket.
(There'll be bits of you missing when I've finished!)
Thaz a face lahk a constipated bloodhound!
(Smile, please.)
If tha'd hafe a brain, tha'd be an ape.
(You are somewhat deficient in grey matter.)
Th'art purrin' (putting thi yed in a dog kennel!
(Don't mess about with me or you'll get in trouble.)
Tha favvers tha's bin punched gether.
(You look slightly deformed.)
Tha skens (squints) enoof ter crack a lookin'-glass.
Tha skens enoof ter upset an 'orse an' cart.
Tha skens lahk a basket o' whelks.
( Unkind remarks to one with cross-eyes.)
Ah'll gi thi some clog toe pie.
(Not an invitation to dinner- this is an offer to give you a good kicking.)
Thaz a nose lahk a blind cobbler's thumb!
(Your nose is a funny shape!)
Th'art nor 'avvin' me on a butty.
(Don't try it on with me.)
Ah'll snatch thi breath!
(I'll kill you!)
Ah'll tek it eawt thi ribs!
(Pay what you owe me or I'll have the satisfaction of giving you a good hiding!)
Art tawkin' ter me or chewin' a brick?
(You are conversing rather indistinctly.)

A shut meawth (mouth) keeps flies eawt.
(If you keep your mouth closed, you won't get in bother; so keep quiet and don't repeat others' gossip.)
Second 'un sits on t' best knee.
(The second wife of a marriage frequently gets treated better than the first one.)
'Im in t' neet wi' t' rag arm.
(Him in the night with the amputated arm - a nonsense retort for parrying inquisitive people who want to know who you are talking about.)
Muck midden pride - a carriage weddin' an' a wheelbarrow flittin'.
(The price you pay for being "showy".)
Beauty's only skin deep - but it's a bugger when tha 'ast use a pick ter ger at it. ..
(There's ugliness - and then there's ugliness.)
Tha met bi born but th'art not dee-erd yet.
(You might be born but you're not dead yet, i.e.. you might be congratulating yourself that you are doing very nicely - but a lot of nasty things could happen to you before you die, so don't be too sure of yourself.)
Th'arl come to thi cake an' milk.
(You'll get what's coming to you.)
Co-opcartkecktooerandthosstukboggarts
The four wheeled vehicle belonging to the Co-operative Wholesale Society has overturned and the horse has bolted in fright.

Ah'm reet jiggered.
I am tired out.
Ah'm peawfagged.
I am weary
Ah'm up stick.Ah've bin playin' Hide the Sausage.
I am pregnant.
Ah'm bun up.Ah cud do wi summat purra road through me. 
I am somewhat constipated.
Ah've a spile in mi ond
I have a splinter in my hand.
Ah keep gooin mazey.
I suffer from dizzy spells.
Ah'm wake.
I am weak.
Ah think ahm mendin.
I feel a lot better now.



No comments:

Post a Comment